With supply chain issues prompting consumers to shop early, now is the time to consider how to make gift-giving even more thoughtful. “This season, it’s more important than ever to be mindful of how we consume, purposefully choosing products that help the planet and support people,” says Suzi Wilkenfeld, co-founder of a new Amazon-alternative platform called Kindhumans, which features non-toxic, eco-friendly, and ethically made gifts and allows clients to give back to the global cause of their choice with each purchase.
While it’s easy to get carried away in the spirit of giving, shopping intentionally can help you spend less and gift better, especially when you’re shopping for loved ones who already have everything they need. Instead of engaging in mindless consumerism and consumption, think about gifting items and experiences that promote the health of both people and the planet. For example, consider a gift card to a friend’s favorite yoga studio or a donation to someone’s favorite environmental non-profit. Here, Wilkenfeld shares some tips for shopping sustainably.
1) Shop early to avoid expedited shipping – Customers who wait up to five days for home delivery could help decrease carbon dioxide emissions by about 30 percent in the last mile of a delivery.
2) Consider gifts that help reduce waste in someone’s life: a reusable water bottle, reusable utensils, a reusable straw, or a zero-waste starter kit.
3) Support brands that give back to non-profits, amplifying your holiday giving.
4) Choose to reuse wrapping paper, or purchase recycled and recyclable paper, such as Wrappily.
5) Shop brands that are committed to sustainable and ethical practices. Look for B-Corp and 1% for the Planet-certified brands.
6) Be on the lookout for greenwashing, and read labels! Check for transparency and legitimate certifications. This ensures the brand you’re supporting embraces ethical standards and pure ingredients.