According to a recent report from Artizton, the U.S. sexual wellness market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.27 percent during the period from 2020 to 2026.
Among the key highlights of the report:
- The demand for sexual wellness products from online channels is highly prevalent in the U.S.
- Ease of access to the internet and the convenience and comfort of shopping for these products through online channels has enabled the growth of a wide consumer base in the country.
- The sexual wellness products offered online are cost-effective as they are often provided at discounted prices, which attracts price-sensitive end-users. Social media is an effective way of promoting and driving the use of female condoms among women.
- Vendors and retailers are capitalizing on such growing interest among the target audience. There have been constant efforts by vendors to leverage this to disassociate the stigma, taboo, and the label of pornography attached to the market and shift sexual wellness products to mainstream shelves.
- There is a rise in demand for flavored condoms from women and couples. Many small private-label vendors are entering the market with a specialized range of products for end-users.
- The rising demand for B2B female condoms will lead to a drop in their per-unit cost. However, as vendors expand their presence in the retail market, the average selling price (ASP) per piece will increase during the forecast period.
- The Southern U.S. dominated the sexual wellness market with a share of around 35.28 percent in 2020. The country is expected to witness a significant CAGR of 8.53 percent during the forecast period.
- The Southern U.S. will continue to be the largest market for condoms during the forecast period.
- The demand for female condoms will witness strong traction in the country after the arrival of low-cost female condoms and expand the retail presence of major players.
- The demand for condoms is expected to increase from institutional buyers such as USAID, UNFPA, WHO, and other NGOs and foundations.
- Constant product development and bringing in new features are keys to achieving high sales growth.
- Companies with better technical and financial resources can develop innovative products that render competitors’ product non-effective even before their launch in the market or before their research and development costs are recovered. Therefore, vendors must develop new technologies. International players are currently dominating the market. However, several regional and foreign players with small market shares also have a presence in the market.
- An important and immediate market for condoms sales exist among women and girls. Vendors who can increase their ability to cater to this customer base are expected to enjoy a competitive advantage in the market.
- The sales of condoms were drastically affected in 2020, especially in the first half of 2020. The first half of 2020 saw a massive fall in the sales of condoms with the spread of the COVID-19 virus. However, the impact of COVID-19 on the condom market was the hardest in Q1 and Q2 when the lockdown was strict. With reducing restrictions and restarting production, the condom market started recovering.
According to Arizton, the U.S. has one of the most sexually active populations in terms of the usage of condoms and sexual lubricants. Institutional buyers such as USAID, UNFPA, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and PSI are the major growth boosters for the sexual wellness market in the U.S. Texas, Florida, and North Carolina reported the highest market contribution among the Southern states. The government is strongly focused on preventing and fighting HIV in the Southern U.S., which in turn, is boosting the growth of the U.S. sexual wellness market. The total population of Texas in 2019 was estimated at around 29 million, with around 11 million household units. Such a huge population and the sheer number of households will support the demand for sexual wellness products.
Click here to get a copy of the report.